Many modern consumers are opting to go with a metal roof because it’s a stylish option that sounds lovely on a rainy night (we have lots of those in Florida!) and because of the many benefits metal roofing provides.
Metal Roofing Installation
This article by Nationwide insurance lists nine different roofing materials, and discusses the pros, cons, and estimated costs of each type. Some of the most popular materials for Florida homes include Asphalt, Tile, and Metal.
In this blog, we’re going to focus on metal roofing installations — an increasingly popular choice because of its long lifespan, wind resistance, low maintenance, and fire resistance. Plus, a metal roof is a beautiful design touch to set your home or business apart.
The Pros of Metal Roofing
There are many benefits to installing a metal roofing system on your house or commercial building. According to State Farm insurance, here are some key pros to consider:
- Longevity: A properly installed metal roof typically lasts as long as the house, with a possible lifespan of 40 to 70 years, depending on the material and external contributing factors. On the other hand, traditional asphalt roofing has an estimated life expectancy of 12–20 years.
- Durability: Rust-proof coatings make metal roofing less likely to corrode or crack. Depending on the product you buy, a metal roof may be impact-resistant. They certainly don’t require the same costly maintenance that other roofing materials do.
- Safety: Metal roofing offers better protection against falling limbs and projectiles; and, if installed correctly, some metal roofs can sustain wind gusts up to 140 mph. They are less likely to be damaged by wind and more easily replaced if they do suffer damage. Additionally, metal roofs shouldn’t spark or ignite in a lightning strike.
- Energy-Efficient: Metal roofs reflect heat, while shingles absorb it. Metal roofs reflect the sun’s UV and infrared rays that contribute to surface radiant heat, which can reduce homeowners’ cooling costs by as much as 25 percent according to the Metal Roofing Alliance.
- Environmentally Friendly: A metal roof is more environmentally friendly than traditional asphalt shingles, a petroleum product that requires replacement more frequently. Metal roofs not only have 25–95% recycled content, depending on the material used, but they’re also 100% recyclable at the end of their lifespan.
Even though metal roofing is more expensive than some other options, this highly efficient, low-maintenance material can save money in the long run and might be the perfect choice for you.
Metal Roofing Maintenance or Repairs
If you already have a metal roof, you’re well aware of the benefits and style it provides. Did you know metal roofing is available in more than 100 different colors? Even though metal roofing is the ideal choice for weather resistance and durability, repairs are still necessary from time to time. The smart move, especially in Florida, given our heat and rain, is to purchase a regular preventative maintenance plan with a local company so they can keep your metal roof working—and looking—like new.
Find a skilled and honest company that provides comprehensive roof maintenance services for residential properties — and one that specializes in metal roofing. That way, you’re more likely to achieve the maximum lifespan from your roof and protect the investment you made when it was first installed.
We suggest selecting a maintenance package that offers flexibility, with at least one site visit per year. During the visit, a skilled team member should conduct a meticulous inspection of your roof (such as checking washers and screws) and supply photographic documentation of its current condition (such as exposed fasteners). They should also clear debris from the roofing system, collect and dispose of organic material from gutters, and address any minor issues before they turn into bigger problems.
Local Roofing Experts for Metal Roofs and More
Contact a local expert to learn more about metal roofing, with Straight Line’s licensed and professional partner Sentinel Roofing.
Whether you need new roofing, repairs, or regular maintenance for a residential or commercial property, Sentinel Roofing offers fair pricing and high-quality solutions that will last for years to come. With craftsmanship and customer service you can trust, Sentinel works with you to find the best roofing system to fit your needs and budget.